I’m sitting here, while Joe is working a night shift, in our HOT, un-airconditioned house on another night of dreary, MUGGY rain. Yes, at the end of July, for the second time in a MONTH, we are without air conditioning, in need of a new electrical board and now possibly new parts for the air conditioner, AND (yes, much smaller of a deal) the kitchen light won’t turn on because the the big bulbs are out… Sometimes, being a homeowner SUCKS, but I must say, I am very thankful for a cooler than normal summer, and I am in LOVE with our most recent project in our home.
So, I am skipping ahead of the many additions, and Hubby-made projects to deflect my un-happiness to our new/updated MASTER BATHROOM! A pinterest project, that turned out better than I’d imagined, and now our GOLD, outdated bathroom, is just how I wanted! Take a peek!
Let’s go through the project. Be prepared, a ton of pictures ahead!
First we had our gold bathroom fixtures and weird, blue/green sponge painted walls
If you look close enough, you may see tests of different paint colors, which were on the wall for longer than I’d like to admit. It may or may not have taken us awhile before we actually started this project, and why we decided the first time our air conditioning went out to start phase 1 of this project, I do not know, but we did. Phase 1 was to replace faucets on sinks and a few other cosmetic pieces and attempt to SPRAY PAINT our gold shower, tub faucet, light fixtures, door knobs, and faucet handles.
First, we went shopping! The easy part for most, but I really don’t like spending money, so it was more difficult than you might expect! We picked the color we wanted to go for, dark black/bronze, and we bought new sink faucets, towel racks and hooks and toilet roll holders. And then went to the spray paint aisle to find a Rust-oleum paint that matched the color and picked out Oil-Rubbed Bronze
And let me tell you, the ABSOLUTE worst part of painting, is the prep. The spray painting itself took no time, but to paint a glass inclosed shower, we had to make sure everything was taped and covered. Of course, anything that could be removed from the room, i.e. the light fixture about the sink, pieces of the tub, door knobs, were all removed and taken outside where a much messier spray paint was accomplished, but all in all, a lot of work, but well worth it.
Here it is, with the all of the newspaper and tape still up!
Finished light fixture
About a week, maybe two, later, with AIR CONDITIONING, we went back to Lowes and bought our paint for the walls. Once again lots of taping, plastic and hands/pants/and more covered in paint, (have I mentioned, that I was not made as a painter, God bless my husband for putting up with me during this project!) we prepped the room and then primed and painted our bathroom a nice beige-ish color.
Now, I’m not going to lie, while I did enjoy getting rid of the sponge painted walls, I was a little bit worried when I realized how “blah” the beige made the room. But, that just meant I got to take a trip, or 2, ok 3, to my favorites, Hobby Lobby and Target. A little pop of yellow and the room was perfect!!
Voila – new master bathroom!
NEXT..of course after the necessary, breaker box (which will hopefully fix the air conditioning) and possibly air conditioning fix, will be the upstairs bathroom!